Wednesday 30 March 2016

20 March 2016 - IMC Refresher: DME Arcs and Holding Patterns

Really great session over at Southend on the 20th. VOR tracked after departing runway 05 NE up to Clacton and performed a 180 degree 7 NM clockwise DME arc, continuing NE the other side of the beacon for a few miles (until 10 DME) before instigating a 45/180 degree procedural turn to rejoin the reciprocal (SW) track back to the beacon. Once there, I did a 5 NM 180 degree DME arc clockwise. 

After leaving the beacon I was on track direct to Southend for a sector 1 parallel entry into the hold. Here I did 2 holds which went really well, probably I have to say helped by the wind perfectly aligned 050 degrees which is the inbound leg of the hold.

Note to self on joining the arc: lead-in to the arc itself after tracking NE was only 0.5 NM due to the headwind but 1.0 NM tracking back due to the tailwind.

Video enclosed but its of the cockpit instruments while in the hold so it wont mean much at all to anybody looking at it apart from me visualising going round the hold! I'm glad I've filmed my flights these last couple of years though as it really helps remembering them. Looking through a logbook doesn't have the same recall factor I'm afraid.


Anyway, loved this session. Everything worked out well but I also felt I gained good experience, particularly playing around in the hold at Southend (who I have to say are so good with us little GA folk).


 
20.03.2016 - Brakes off 09:50(Z) Brakes On 11:10 (Z) Total: 1:20 IMC (1:10Total Time 148:25

No comments:

Post a Comment